First post from our October 2012 China holiday.
Huanglong means Yellow Dragon in Chinese. It is a valley located 360km northwest of Sichuan's capital Chengdu. The main attraction here are the beautiful coloured ponds and rock formations. I won't do the copy paste from google but you can find out more at the UNESCO World Heritage page.
We set out from a nearby tourist transit town Chuanzhusi for a 1.5 hour car ride up and down the snow cap mountains. Here are the photos from the day:
- Got out of the car to take pictures of yaks crossing the road.
- We stopped at a few lookouts on the way and got some great photos. The highest was around 4500m above sea level. I had never been at such high altitude but turned out to be perfectly fine.
- Got a candid shot of a local Tibetan hawker woman.
- We have arrived! Next step: working out the best route to take to avoid the crowds
- We caught the cable car up and straight to the main attraction: the Five Coloured Pool at the top of the valley.
- We saw plenty more pools on our slow, 4 hour walk down. Towards the end of our walk, the weather gods had a wonderful surprise in store for us, light snow flakes falling from a clear blue sky.
- Ethereal moss covered forests off the main walking trail.